Monday, October 19, 2009

Brisket and pork weekend





This weekend I smoked a brisket on Saturday and on Sunday I tried a recipe from the Big Bob Gibson book by Chris Lilly.

The brisket was a bit of a challenge as it was raining steadily throughout the weekend. But I just put up my canopy and covered my BBQ Guru components in plastic wrap and everything worked out.

For the brisket, I used a coffee based rub and made a Coca Cola marinade from a Paul Kirk recipe that I used as a mop. The sweetness of the Coca-Cola combined nicely with the bitterness of the coffee.

Here's the brisket after I took it off the smoker. It was on for 14 hours at 220F on charcoal and pecan wood chunks. I decided to foil the brisket when it reached 170F and add some extra mop sauce before closing the foil. When I pulled it, the brisket was definitely moist; however, I was a little disappointed with the softness of the bark.




















Sliced brisket from the point:




















I decided to try making burnt ends. I cubed the point, placed it in an aluminum pan, added additional marinade and rub and cooked for an hour at 300F.




















In the evening I made a recipe from the Big Bob Gibson book. Here's some photos:

Pork tenderloin rolled with bacon:




















The finished product. Rolled the tenderloin in chopped pecans, salt, pepper and Carolina mustard sauce and cooked on my Weber Smokey Joe (sorry no photos as it was already dark):




















Here's the recipes:

Coffee Brisket Rub

2 Tbs. paprika

2 Tbs. garlic powder
2 Tbs. onion powder
2 Tbs. black pepper
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. ground coffee (not used coffee grounds)
2 Tbs. kosher salt
1 Tbs. mustard powder

1 Tbs. white pepper

1 Tbs. chili powder

1 Tsp. cayenne pepper powder





Mix this rub well and store in a closed container. It makes enough brisket dry rub for one large beef brisket. Enjoy this one with a pot of fresh-brewed mountain grown Columbian!

Pecan Crusted Pork Tenderloins

Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce

Coca Cola Marinade (go to page 65)


No comments:

Post a Comment