Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bison and Beer Chili


I've got some very strong opinions about chili. First and foremost, if it's got beans in it it is NOT chili. Call it whatever you want, but that is not chili. Second, chili shouldn't be served with spaghetti. That's spaghetti with meat sauce.

After that it gets a little murky. For example, I've never been a fan of Cincinnati chili. Cinnamon in chili? Uh, no thanks. If I want cinnamon I'll get it from a Cinnabon at the mall. But this recipe has made me rethink some of my chili opinions. Don't worry though; there is not a recipe in the world that will shake me from my belief in the absolute truth that anything with beans in it is NOT chili.

Enter the recipe I'm writing about here and its ingredients. I'm down with bison as it's lean and tasty. Shiner Bock? Like I have to answer that. Cilantro? Great flavor and color. But honey? Lime juice? CINNAMON? And pumpkin seeds for topping? I was more than a little unsure about this recipe. However, after giving it a try, it works. It's got heat, but the cinnamon and honey sweetness, paired with the lime tartness lend a complexity of flavor I don't typically get in chili. Perhaps the biggest surprise is the pumpkin seed garnish. The nutty flavor is the perfect topping for this intensely flavored recipe.

Give it a try. I think you'll be impressed.


Quality ingredients are essential



















La Costena chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
























Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Tomatoes
























Can't go wrong with Shiner Bock
























I use Penzeys Spices whenever possible
























The finished product with sour cream and pumpkin seeds on top



No comments:

Post a Comment